Statement of Commitment
The City of Bloomington Adopt-A-Park program is a partnership between the City of Bloomington and volunteers, in an effort to keep our community clean, safe, and attractive. By working together, we can continue to provide a beautiful environment in which to live and raise a family. The program also educates and encourages people to stop littering and take pride in their community.
The Adopter agrees to:
- Remove litter in their designated area at least once a month (weather providing) for two years;
- Designate a liaison to work with the program coordinator who will:
- review the safety rules with all participants
- assure that all participants are responsible individuals and that participating minors under the age of 18 have adult
- have all the participants sign in for each clean up
- send in a report after a clean up has occurred.
- Make the City aware of any items of concern;
- Use caution or avoid contact with items that have the potential to be hazardous or cause injury;
- General maintenance of the above stated area in a manner that improves the beauty and overall appearance of the City.
- In exchange for the public good that is generated through participation in the City of Bloomington Adopt-A-Park program, we voluntarily waive any and all claims for injuries or damages suffered by us arising out of participation in the program and covenant not to sue the City of Bloomington, its officer, agents or employees.
In addition, the organization maintains that it will comply with the City of Bloomington policies and the organization does not unlawfully discriminate against its members or in delivering its goods, services, or programs because of race, color, religion, sex, martial status, national origin or ancestry, disability, or matriculation.
The City agrees to:
- Furnish supplies such as trash bags and reflective vests, at the request of the adopter;
- Provide trash pickup if necessary;
- Furnish and install Adopt-A-Park signs with the Adopter’s name on each sign, after the Adopter has successfully participated for six months;
- Provide safety rules for participants to follow;
- Furnish certificates of recognition to Adopter.
Safety Rules for Adopt-A-Park Volunteers
- No volunteers shall be under the age of 10 for the adopt-a-park program.
- One adult must accompany every eight workers under the age of 18.
- Pets will not be allowed to accompany workers for the adopt-a-trail program.
- Inappropriate behavior during the pickup may be cause for termination of contract.
- Work must be done during daylight hours.
- For the protection of all workers, appropriate clothing and footwear must be worn. Loose fitting clothes that cover the legs are recommended. Gloves and hard soled shoes are required – no open toe shoes or bare feet.
- Safety vest must be worn when working.
- An adequate supply of drinking water and a first aid kit must be provided by the volunteers during the pickup operation. A cellular phone is also a good idea to have if possible.
- Possession or consumption of alcoholic beverages or controlled substances while working is prohibited.
- Volunteers shall inform City staff if large objects need to be removed or picked up.
- Filled garbage bags shall be left by trash receptacles or at a prearranged point.
- Aluminum cans or other discarded materials may be kept by the volunteers. Valuables such as briefcases, suitcases, or wallets must be turned over to the program coordinator.
- Each group should know the easiest way to get to the hospital from your work area.
- Each group should have immediate transportation available.